• Thu., May. 08, 2014 7:00PM - 11:59PM CDT NFL Draft (Day 1) The 2014 NFL Draft will take place in May, not April.
  • Fri., May. 09, 2014 5:30PM - 11:59PM CDT NFL Draft (Day 2) The 2014 NFL Draft will take place in May, not April.
  • Sat., May. 10, 2014 11:00AM - 11:59PM CDT NFL Draft (Day 3) The 2014 NFL Draft will take place in May, not April.

Titans Owner: “We Still Have Two Good Ones” in Hasselbeck, Locker

Posted by Gary Glenn on March 19, 2012 – 2:34 pm

Peyton Manning won't be joining the Titans after alerting Titans owner Bud Adams this morning he was choosing the Denver Broncos.

Titans owner Bud Adams said today he is fine with quarterbacks Matt Hasselbeck and Jake Locker moving forward after losing out on the Peyton Manning sweepstakes to the Denver Broncos.

“It’s not that I don’t like the quarterbacks we have,” Adams told Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. “I think Hasselbeck is a fine player, and the young one there (Locker), every time he comes in he scored touchdowns for us. I am going to leave it up to the coaches to make the decision on who plays. When September rolls around we’ll still have two good ones.”

Adams decided to enter the chase for Manning, seeing it as a rare opportunity to land a four-time NFL Most Valuable Player and one of the most celebrated free agents in NFL history.

Manning informed Adams this morning he was choosing the Broncos.

“I was hoping we would win out,” Adams said. “I thought we’d be ahead of Denver. I thought he’d want to stay in Tennessee. I thought we could outdo them. But I guess we didn’t do it. He called me himself and told me he wasn’t coming, that he made his mind up to go with Denver.

“It was a close call for him. I told him he was going into high altitude so he better start running here to get his legs in better shape. He got a kick out of that.”

In recent days, Manning had narrowed his choices down to three teams — Tennessee, Denver and San Francisco. Miami and Arizona were on the initial list. Manning’s ties to the state of Tennessee had some Titans fans hopeful. Others believed the team was fine with Hasselbeck and Locker.

Adams said he was willing to offer Manning a role in the front office after his playing career, but in the end Manning made his own decision, one that was out of the Titans’ control.

“I absolutely was going to pay him,” Adams said. “And I was going to pay him to be with us until he was ready to be buried. And I was going to take care of him. I was going to spend a lot of money on him. But he didn’t want that. He wanted to be somewhere else and I can’t do anything about that.

“He knew about what we were going to pay him, and it was going to be a sizeable deal.”

11 Responses to “Titans Owner: “We Still Have Two Good Ones” in Hasselbeck, Locker”

1. By David Johnson on Mar 19, 2012 | Reply

I believe not having Manning is a good thing for the Titans, if he would get injured again that would cost a bundle. We have two good QB s Lets fill up the week areas we will be alright.

2. By THESEED on Mar 19, 2012 | Reply

I was cool with it either way. We do have 2 real good QB’s and one is our future. We are just a few players away from a really good/young team thats going to be good for a long time. Pass rush and O-line, thats what needs fix n. CJ was not his best last year I admit but he didn’t have much room to get going either. Our run game will get back on track next season for sure. CJ already said he will be with the team this off season.

3. By Titansgalfan on Mar 19, 2012 | Reply

Can we please get on with Titans’ business now. The team needs so much more than another QB. Hope you haven’t let all the free agents that could help the team get away while waiting for His Majesty to make a decision. Geez, we all knew he wasn’t coming here. He’s been a Titan’s foe for too many years. GO TITANS!

4. By alfalfasgirl on Mar 19, 2012 | Reply

I admit Peyton is a great QB, but I am not a fan of his and did not want him here. Our team stated back in Jan we were happy with our QB situation. You know Peyton heard that, so why would he want to come here knowing that the only reason we pursued him was because Bud Adams told them to do so. Think about how Hasselbeck and Locker felt watching all of that. It wasn’t fair to them either. Now that we have lost out on some really good talent I only hope we can still find some quality talent to fill the holes. We will get our championship if we can do the right thing and develop the excellent talent we already have. At least we won’t have to face Manning twice a year anymore. Now lets get busy and get back on top of the AFC South where we belong.

5. By Michael on Mar 19, 2012 | Reply

Of course you are all “ok” with it now. You are like the guy who asks a girl to prom and when turned down, say, “she is not that pretty anyway.” Last week, the fans and especiall the homer media sounded like a bunch of teenage girls who heard they may get tickets to a Justin Bieber concert.

6. By Pamela Jo Delk on Mar 19, 2012 | Reply

I have been so pleased with Matt Hasselbeck’s performance with the Titans, last season. It’s been difficult for me to listen to all the fuss made over Manning, even though I appreciate he has been one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the NFL. I heard Mike Keith speak at an event during this “Manning” fray, and he wouldn’t even mention Hasselbeck’s name. He simply said “that veteran quarterback.” I had the opportunity to attend a Titans game on Christmas eve, and saw Hasselbeck scurrying up and down the sidelines, encouraging the players and remaining dedicated to all the action on the field. He deserves so much more credit than anyone has given him. I, for one, am so proud to have him in Nashville. I hope he stays with the Titans and that Jake Locker learns as much from him as he can. He has always impressed me as a quality individual with a cool head. The Titans can use as many of those as they can find. Thank you, Matt!

7. By EBTITAN on Mar 19, 2012 | Reply

MOVE ON! WE GOT HUTCH,GOOD MOVE.NEED SOME DEFENSE.

8. By Andy on Mar 19, 2012 | Reply

At this point I say good riddance to Peyton Manning. I think he knew before his official release from Indy exactly where he was going. I don’t think he had any intentions of ever playing for the Titans. He just used us as well as the the other teams involved to make sure he got the money he wanted (like he needs it). All it did was cost us a the d-linemen we really needed in free agency. Thanks Peyton! Glad we still have Matt and Jake!

9. By layne28 on Mar 19, 2012 | Reply

I really would like to have peyton but we have too many needs to spend 20 of 26 million on one player when we already have two good QBs. Go get us the best DE left in free agency and also the best one at 20 in the draft. would love to get Porter at CB. Saturday would be great too.

10. By fan on Mar 20, 2012 | Reply

Broncos will sign Peyton Manning.

11. By addicted2football on Mar 21, 2012 | Reply

I’m glad the Manning circus has left town, I wasn’t exactly stoked about the idea of giving him the vast majority of our cap space for the next 3 to 5 years. I was a little disappointed that we weren’t in the mix for Mario Williams, but the signing of Kamerion Wimbly has made that disappointment fade away. I’m still a little on the fence regarding the signing of Hutchinson, I realize most experts say he’s an upgrade over anything we had at G, but Carl Nicks or Ben Grubbs would have been too, and they’re both a LOT younger than Hutch. In my opinion, if we’d brought in a C like Scott Wells, we could have brought back Jake Scott, moved Amano back to his natural position of G, and that would have solved our problem on the O line.