• Thu., May. 08, 2014 7:00PM - 11:59PM CDT NFL Draft (Day 1) The 2014 NFL Draft will take place in May, not April.
  • Fri., May. 09, 2014 5:30PM - 11:59PM CDT NFL Draft (Day 2) The 2014 NFL Draft will take place in May, not April.
  • Sat., May. 10, 2014 11:00AM - 11:59PM CDT NFL Draft (Day 3) The 2014 NFL Draft will take place in May, not April.

Munchak: QB Competition Will be one to Watch

Posted by Gary Glenn on April 12, 2012 – 11:55 am

Head coach Mike Munchak said the team’s quarterback competition between Matt Hasselbeck and Jake Locker will be one of the most exciting things to watch throughout training camp and the preseason.

Munchak spoke to local business men and women during a Nashville Business Journal breakfast Wednesday at Lipscomb’s Allen Arena. Munchak said he’s thrilled about Locker, and that last year’s 8th overall pick is going to be a great quarterback for years to come.

“Now will he start this year? That will be the fun part watching Jake compete with Matt Hasselbeck. That will be a question I’ll probably field every single day, but that’s fine because we have two good ones and fans should feel confident that we have a quarterback in place that we can win a Super Bowl with.”

Locker, meanwhile, told SiriusXM NFL Radio on Wednesday that he’s going to to everything he can to win the starting role.

“To have them hand that job over to me, whether it’s something they are legitimately thinking now or not, I hope that if they’re not, I hope that by the time it’s over, they will,” Locker said. “And if they are (now), I hope that I’ve done well enough to earn that spot.”

Locker received a vote of confidence from teammate Jared Cook.

“I think Matt has a little bit of upside, but I think Jake’s got heart,” Cook told The Tennessean. “Jake knows what he wants. When you know what you want, sometimes you’re going to get it. So I think it’s going to be a good competition.”

If Locker fails to win the job, he said he’ll continue to push Hasselbeck every day in practice.

“I’m going to do everything I can to win that job, and in that, I’m going to push him (Hasselbeck) to be better,” Locker said. “He’s going to do the same thing, which is going to push me to be better. And at the end of the day, if I don’t end up winning the job and I’m his backup, I’m going to do everything I can on game day to help him to help our team be successful and help our team win games, and I feel he’ll do the same thing.”

Whoever wins, Munchak feels the Titans are in good shape at the quarterback position.

“You’re going to have a quarterback here that you feel great about,” he said. “Both of them are great people. Jake is going to be really special. Time will tell as everything unfolds, but it’s going to be exciting to watch.”

Tags: , ,

11 Responses to “Munchak: QB Competition Will be one to Watch”

1. By THESEED on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

I can’t wait for this season to start! I like the FA we picked up and we always draft well. Jake will start as I think it’s time and we should see some great football from the Titans for years to come. Munch has done a great job and I hope we keep Matt as a backup. Matt would be the best backup in the league! The D will get better as I see a top 10 this year – that’s right, this year! Titans RULE!

2. By mmvp on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Jake better start this year……if MH loses the first game this year like he did last year…..bench him….IMMEDIATELY…don;t wait until it’s too late!

3. By Gerard on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

I am hoping that Jake Locker sits one more full year. The last time we waited until year three we had a great thing with Steve McNair. He sat behind Cody Carlson (not so great) and was ready when asked to start. Don’t get me wrong, I think Jake will be great but I hope that we don’t do too much with him too soon. VY would have been better off if he waited to take the field. I know it seems like the norm now a day but the success of a QB that plays right away is not very high. I want Jake to be under center for many many years and the best thing is to sit and develop.

4. By Chris on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

I really hope Titans start Locker because I think we are going to succeed with Locker at the starting QB position along with Britt, Chris Johnson, and hopefully we can draft a top notch reciever as well. but we need a corner back.

5. By Larry on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

We need to get our defense taken care of. we have Britt, Locker, and posibly Johnson (if he can forget last years debacle) already. but we need to be able to protect against the texans, which we cannot ignore anymore. not to mention that there is a chance of a Luck streak in indianapolis, which would make two top teir offenses we need to defend against….without finnigan we dont have much in the way of being dominated. if we can hold them to 7 and score even 9, then we win. pure and simple we win, whether its exciting or not its the wins that bring you to the superbowl

6. By addicted2football on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

I don’t see Luck being a factor in the AFC South this year, possibly better than Gabbert was for Jville last season, but the Indy we all knew before is dead. Just about every aspect of that team is new from the front office to the janitors and everything in the middle. I can see the Colts possibly being a threat again in about 2014, which gives us 2 years to get ready for little Andrew. Locker will be the face of your franchise for about 12 to 15 years, and Hasselbeck has been an awesome mentor, but Jake is the future. I also agree with Gerard in that VY may not have busted if we’d have kept him on the bench for a season or 2, AND been able to keep McNair as his mentor.

7. By kit on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

CHris needs locker, one of the main reasons for chris sucess was the threat of a running qb, with young back there, they couldnt double up on chris like they can with a sit in the pocket guy, like they have with current qb and the one they got rid of I cant remember his name thats sad,with jake at qb chris will ghet his 2000 yards and if they double up on chris the locker will get some too.

8. By RobS on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

Jake has what it takes,he has the correct attitude to succed.With MH he is learning the Pro game the right way.Good Luck Titans.From the Northwest Titan Fan

9. By Johnny Donahey on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

i think jake locker should take one more year to sit behind matt and learn it will do him good in the long run. matt did fantastic last season and could only do better once he gets his favorite receiver back kenny britt. I say we use what talent of matt is left andf have jake continue to learn. however we do still need to toughen up our defense, we desperately need a CB and possibly a good saftey to pay opposaite of griffin, chris hope is old and def not as good and fast as he used to be. plus with the loss of finnegan, we need it. and not to mention were playing alot of high powered passing offenses this year, such as packers, patriots, lions, we wont be able to stop them unlessd we improve our secondary, so please titans i implore you. listen to reason, or this season will be laid to rest at the very beginning.

10. By THESEED on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

We had one of the worst pass rushes in the league last year. It’s tough to win if the QB has all day to throw. Mark my words, the D will be good if we get to the QB. That will be taken care of on Thur. Go Titans

11. By toothewall on May 5, 2012 | Reply

Big Locker fan! I’m glad he was not rushed under center last year, the time to learn from MH will just make him better. He is going to be extremely fun to watch for many years to come. The Northwest is rooting him! Can’t wait till he comes and plays Seattle.