• Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 11:40 AM - 11:59 AM CST Live #TitansLive: Pregame WATCH LIVE as TitansOnline's Amie Wells and Joe Fann offer pregame analysis and last-minute line-up changes prior to the Titans-Texans game.
  • Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM CST Titans at Texans Buy Tickets | Watch Online
  • Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM CST Live TitansLive: Postgame
    WATCH LIVE immediately following the game as TitansOnline's Amie Wells, Joe Fann and former Titan WR Derrick Mason offer postgame analysis and interviews, including Ken Whisenhunt / selected players' post-game press conferences
  • Mon., Dec. 01, 2014 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM CST Live Tennessee Titans Mr. Football Awards WATCH LIVE as The Tennessee Titans Mr. Football Awards are presented to the top 10 backs and linemen in five classifications of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association on Monday, December 1, 2014, at the Embassy Suites Hotel & Conference Center in Murfreesboro, TN.

"Voice of the Titans" Mike Keith will emcee the awards presentation.
  • Sun., Dec. 07, 2014 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM CST Live Titans vs Giants Buy Tickets | Watch Online
  • Sun., Dec. 14, 2014 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM CST Titans vs Jets Buy Tickets | Watch Online

Mike Munchak: “Jake’s Going to be Our Guy”

Posted by Gary Glenn on March 19, 2013 – 10:57 pm

munchak-locker031913When the Titans agreed to terms with Ryan Fitzpatrick Monday after contract negotiations broke down with Matt Hasselbeck, it was with the understanding that he will serve as Jake Locker’s backup going forward.

Head coach Mike Munchak made that clear during an interview with Fox Sports.com’s Alex Marvez at the NFL owners meeting.

“I think (Fitzpatrick) understands his role,” Munchak said. “It’s Jake’s team. It’s Jake’s time. Jake’s going to be our guy. We made that decision last year after training camp.

“Ryan has been in this situation before … He’s going to compete with (Locker) and I think he’ll help him a lot throughout the week. It will be another great mentor for him. And we feel he can win if he has to play. That’s how we felt with Matt Hasselbeck also.”

Unlike last year when Munchak staged a training camp/preseason battle between Locker and Hasselbeck to determine the starting job, Locker will not be looking over his shoulder as he prepares for the 2013 season.

“This offseason, it’s nice that Jake will be going into camp knowing that he’s our quarterback,” Munchak said. “He’s got to stay healthy. We know that. That was probably the biggest problem last year. It’s hard to judge him because he didn’t play as much and he played injured.

“Unfortunately, when you have a quarterback who runs around a little bit they get hurt. There’s a chance that second quarterback is going to play a lot. We feel we had that situation with Matt and now with Ryan we have the same thing.”

Tags: , ,

19 Responses to “Mike Munchak: “Jake’s Going to be Our Guy””

1. By fredrick boothman on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

munchak is such a lair can’t believe anything he says

2. By fredrick boothman on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

if jake is your man why did you give frizpatrick 3.5 million a year thats straight out stupid 1.5 million should of been more like it he is a backup for christsake whats wrong with you people vince young would of been a better choice friz has no arm left my god thats why bills cut him

3. By fredrick boothman on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

ps better draft cooper or warmack or your fa moves will be meaningless

4. By EBTITAN on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

I BELIEVE IT WAS 3.25 MIL FOR 2 YRS

5. By THE SEED on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

FB, Munchak is not a liar and Fitz is better than Hass at this point in there career. Cheaper and younger not to mention more mobility. I would like to see one of these two(Cooper or Warmack or at the very least 2nd round grabbing the best C/G left. FB – Vince is no leader and will NEVER be a Titan again. He won’t even play in the NFL again. He flat out blew his chance and he doesnt do the extra to take him to the next level. Dream team, ask the Eagles how that went. Vince didnt make the Bills Roster. People, give it up on Vince, he’s got all the tools except 1 – Proper Football Motivation/ Team leader skills. OK 2. Go Titans!

6. By THE SEED on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

I saw 6 mill for 2 years.

7. By Franky on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

Titans are gonna be contenders this year!!! They have put together some quality moves with quality players that have locker room skills to help the young guys. If we can get everyone on the same page we are gonna be alot better TEAM that contends in each game. I’m sure everybody is ready to get back to the days of SMASH MOUTH football. Great Defense and pounding the rock!!!

8. By THE SEED on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

Agreed, Franky!

9. By Titans4Life on Mar 21, 2013 | Reply

I couldn’t agree more,we will be the team that not many people are gonna wanna see. For the 1st time in a very long time,as a DIE HARD Titans fan,i see some good things on the come up! We had pieces in place already,but with some very key pick ups,we are looking pretty good. I love the Greg Williams pick up,no question,no doubt,that he will make a huge difference being involved and having a say on what happens on Defense. Each and every single player we picked of this offseason has 2 be applauded. Seriously…..i’m very proud of the effort that our Titans brass are putting together. It shows me that they want 2 win and win right now! They have been very,very aggressive and that make me feel very good that they are concerned about putting a winning product on the field. And guess what guys? I feel like we won the off season and we havent even got 2 the draft yet[rubbing my hands together in excitement]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel something special brewing in Nashville guys,im telling right now,we will have a very successful bounce back year this coming year. Im NOT SAYING SUPERBOWL,though if we make the playoffs,which i fully suspect we will. Especially because we are building a house now,that anything can happen once u get 2 the playoffs. And frankly,i dont give a damn how we get there,im just thirsty 2 get in[lol]. I know all my true Titans fan can agree with me on that. Just get in,to hell with the seeding,just get in! And good things can happen,Im very pleased that it appear we’re going in the right direction,GO TITANS! Special yr coming up guys,u mark my words,i dont know what,or how it will shake out,but good things are coming moving forward.

10. By EBTITAN on Mar 21, 2013 | Reply

OH YA’. I’M ALSO PROUD! NOW FIND A WAY TO GET ELVIS & WE CAN GO AFTER THE BEST PLAYER @ 10 IN THE DRAFT. OR MAKE A MOVE UP OR DOWN? WE NEED BEEF!

11. By Draconiancowboy on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

@Titans4Life: I totally agree with you. This is the first time I have ever been this excited during free agency. Usually I am just looking at what dead wood the Titans need to be freed from. Now, all of the sudden, we are spending money on key players… weird. I had to check my memorabilia just to be sure it didn’t have a Bills insignia instead at one point. I cannot wait for the draft!!! Personally, I want the Titans to be known as a hard hitting smashmouth ball club again. The pieces are there… Locker = McNair; Greene = Eddie; Walker = Wycheck; a semi-solid receiving core, and now a barn burner that can break a TD at any moment as a RB… I know those aren’t exactly equal, but you can see that the front office may be looking at our past success and trying to reenact!

@EBTITAN: I totally agree with the Proud thing, but I do not see the Titans going after a DE in FA. I would love to see Dumervile, however, after all of the cash spent, there just wont be cap room for such a high profile target. I actually could see us spending our first round on Jordan or Ansah… possibly even reaching for Mingo depending on if Warmack is not available.

12. By EBTITAN on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

YA YOUR RIGHT JUST A WISH!

13. By fredrick boothman on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

it will come true when they pick cooper or warmack first de in second wr and db in third round lb fourth db in fifth last three picks best player available what a good draft other teams will fear us again playoffs for sure maybe superbowl too never know could happen go titans

14. By fredrick boothman on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

@ebititan ya was wrong they did sign a de a big one to 6-8 315 go titans

15. By oilerfan4ever on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

The Titans can get all the players they want, we will never be a
    playoff team again with Munchak,one of the Titans worst coaches ever
    What a mess last year we had over 50 points scored against us twice
    Our offense was horrific too, Fitzpatrick is a never was been. have you seen his stats? How is he going to mentor jake>> If he is not competing for the 1 job, there were a lot better back-ups to snag, Hassleback going to the Colts. I predict he will end up beating us in a very crucial game down the road, he knows too much.
    If jake is the man, why Fitzpatrick, only really played full time since 2010. This is our Mentor??? I want to see a game plan not run on 1st down 2nd down then throw on 3rd, doesn’t take a genius to defend that game plan. Who is jake supposed to throw to?? Where are the wr’s ?? Does Jeff Fisher have a clone, brother or maybe even a sister? What happened to the OIler, Moon, Mcnair legacy?
    Great QB, RB,Special teams and brutal defense. We used to known as the “House of Pain”. We always had more take aways than fumbles, not anymore. Munckakkyyy was a great player, he should have kept his legacy

16. By maddog134 on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Hello,
    First time commentor. This looks to be a good blog for Titans fans. Come to the games and am Die Hard Titans fan wanting to see a good season for a change.

17. By UStudio on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

ust commenting on qb situation jake I think can do the job but hes still unproven matt was good could get us a better than 50 percent season, the new guy, mat was probably better than him. Man you could get vince as a 3rd stringer cause he could if hes playing like he used to even get us to the playoffs, rusty the third if he had to be the guy hed maybe get us 40 percent, but the coach would lose his job, vince if he had to be the guy could win, yes i know he may or may not be the same guy he was but the talent was and is still there , his attitude was his downfall, hes now married and has a kid i think that probably the biggest change he could do. So basically is Jake is healthy we may or may not make it to play offs, if jake goes down we may or may not get to 50 percent, if rusty goes in , new head coach next year. with vy you may or may not make to playoffs as well but if his head is on straight the odds increase to even better than jakes chances. All in all with the new changes , additions i think jakes is gonna get us to playoffs

18. By UStudio on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

on the running back thing i like the new guy, chris is still the man but we need some one that can punish the line, about chris’s comment wining should matter to, Adrian Peterson though he got alot of yards was also focusing on winning, from his comments

19. By vpodelkah.ru on Aug 23, 2013 | Reply

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was wondering what all is needed to get set up? I’m assuming having a blog like
    yours would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very web smart so I’m not 100% sure.
    Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Visit my website: auto insurance tn (vpodelkah.ru)