New DT Sammie Lee Hill Ready to Stop the Run, Harass Quarterbacks

Posted by Gary Glenn on March 19, 2013 – 3:10 pm

Sammie LeeNew defensive tackle Sammie Lee Hill is expected to provide the mammoth, run-stopping body in the middle of the defensive line the Titans have missed since the departure of Albert Haynesworth.

The former Lion was stuck behind Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley and Corey Williams in Detroit. In Tennessee he steps into a situation where he can provide immediate help.

“I’ve been given this wonderful opportunity to come in here,” Hill told the Midday 180 on Nashville’s 104.5 The Zone. “They needed a bigger guy. The way they want to utilize me, I can’t complain. I’m overwhelmed with joy. Everything they want me to do, I’m going to do my best to give it to them, too.”

When asked what he brings to the table, Hill didn’t hesitate.

“Just a powerful, big guy in the middle that will try to cause pressure and get in quarterbacks’ faces and be that presence,” Hill said. “My biggest thing is to help them stop the run. That’s what they brought me in for — to be the power guy that can stop the run on first and second down. And like Coach Munchak said, if I can stay in on third down and cause some pocket pressure, you get taller as you get closer to the quarterback. For me with my power, I think I can cause havoc in the middle by stopping the run and bringing the power side of the pass rush.”

Hill said the Titans haven’t given him a preferred weight to play at yet, but he said he moves around well between 335-340 pounds.

“Whatever size they want me at, I’m going to do my best to get it done, try to sustain it and do what I’ve got to do,” he said. “I know I’m powerful, but I think I can move around a little bit to be the size that I am.”

Knowing he would have a better chance of seeing legitimate playing time outside of Detroit, Hill kept his options open in free agency. The Titans had targeted him and wasted little time making the first offer.

“I knew I was a rotational guy at Detroit and had three great players in front of me, so this is a great situation for me,” Hill said. “I had some other offers, but nothing that would match my happiness of being close to home and playing for Tennessee.”

And Hill said he’ll take on any pressure that comes from playing with a larger contract.

“I embrace it because you know it’s a business and they don’t give you all this money just to be a lackluster player,” he said. “I know what I’ve got to do, I know the role they want me to play and I’m going to do my best to play it. One thing about pressure — if you don’t have it, you don’t care too much. I’ve got that pressure now and I’m ready to take it on to do my best for the Tennessee Titans and our fans.”

10 Responses to “New DT Sammie Lee Hill Ready to Stop the Run, Harass Quarterbacks”

1. By EBTITAN on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

TIME TO SHINE BIG MAN! WELCOME TO 10SC

2. By fredrick boothman on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

time to show your greatness hill

3. By Jonathan on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

I understand james harrison is available I wonder if Titan will consider looking into getting him to help us out….

4. By aguilard on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Hill is gonna be great for us.GO TITANS!!

5. By Brooks on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Welcome to Nashville Sammie!

6. By Victoria Batt on Jun 30, 2013 | Reply

Undeniably believe that which you said.. Your favorite justification appeared to be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware of.. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people consider worries that they plainly do not know about.. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more.. Thanks Moreno Valley Roof Contractors, 22440 Mountain View Rd., Moreno Valley, CA, 92557, US, 951-999-4300

7. By mow lawns on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

Make sure that you take an equal amount of metal from both ends of the blade; this will ensure that it remains
    balanced. Just make sure to compare two or more lawn mowing companies and see which one can give you
    good services at a reasonable price. In the meantime, you can create a free blog at Blogger.

8. By Marylin on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

My family members every time say that I am wasting my time here at net, but I know I
    am gettinmg experience daily by reading such good articles.

My blo buying a house – Marylin

9. By Window Cleaning on Sep 26, 2014 | Reply

Hi to all, the contents existing at this web page are really awesome for people knowledge,
    well, keep up the nice work fellows.

10. By righteousfuzz5208.newsvine.com on Oct 5, 2014 | Reply

Greetings! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering whixh blokg platform
    are you using for this site? I’m getting sick and tired of WordPress because I’ve had problems with hackers and I’m
    looking at alternatives for another platform.
    I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.