Schedule   |   Tickets   |   Live Webcasts

Shonn Greene: “I Know What’s Needed to Get First Downs”

Posted by Gary Glenn on March 19, 2013 – 4:39 pm

Shonn GreeneShonn Greene knows how to pick up tough yards — that’s one of the reasons the Titans targeted him in free agency.

But the former New York Jets running back won’t be limited to just short-yardage carries.

“We haven’t really gotten into percentages or anything like that, but one thing they did tell me was they don’t look at me having just one role,” Greene told the Midday 180 on Nashville’s 104.5 The Zone. “They are going to be giving me carries here and there. They haven’t told me any number or anything like that, but I think it’s going to be more of a feel thing. I’m not going to be limited to just goal line or short yardage.”

Head coach Mike Munchak confirmed Greene’s comments in an interview with Fox Sports.com’s Alex Marvez at the NFL owners meeting.

“I know as a (former) line coach myself that we haven’t had a guy like that in a while,” Munchak said. “He reminds me of the Eddie George days — a guy that can fall forward, a guy that’s physical, a guy that can understand his role.

“We’re not going to have him as a short-yardage back, a goal-line back and four-minute back and that’s all he does. We feel he can play all three downs. He may get a series where he gets going and we’re taking over the line of scrimmage and you want that runner in there and we leave him in there.”

And when the Titans do need the first down, Greene has proven over time he can get the job done.

“As long as I was there (in New York) — even my rookie year — coming into games I’ve kind of been the short-yardage back and goal line type of back,” he said. “I think I just have a niche for that type of thing. I know what’s needed to get first downs and what’s needed to keep the chains moving.”

Munchak said Greene gives the Titans “a lot” more options.

“We haven’t stayed healthy in that (backup) spot the past two years so we’ve been very nervous. Luckily, C.J. has been very durable and hasn’t missed a game since he’s been in the league. We knew our luck was kind of running out on that idea so we had better get someone in.

“We feel that, especially with a young quarterback, we have to start moving the chains better and getting time of possession better. It’s hard to do when you just have a speed back. We thought the complement would be a huge plus for us.”

Greene understands his role and called Chris Johnson a great football player that is very explosive.

“He can be gone with any carry, so I don’t think it’s a matter of carries,” Greene said. “He’s very talented and it’s still a possibility he can reach his goals. I’m just here to help win football games.”

13 Responses to “Shonn Greene: “I Know What’s Needed to Get First Downs””

1. By fredrick boothman on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

go greene

2. By Riley on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

Lets go Titans

3. By Draconiancowboy on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

Greene, I know you don’t read this, but I will vent anyhow. Don’t listen to CJ’s garbage. If this was truly ‘his’ team, then he would have done more to prove it. Ballerina dancing behind your guards until you are flat on your back does not cut it in the NFL. I know our line was bad last year, but a back that had any power at all could have at least converted third-and-one a couple of times. In fact, I’ve seen better runs after a late night trip to Krystals.

Greene, we welcome you with open arms, and as a fan of Eddie’s style of running, I know we can win games three yards at a time with the occasional home-run threat.

I like the idea of the two back set, but if CJ doesn’t come around to accept that, we may be better off trading him to Dancing with the Stars… maybe we could get dibs on one of their laundry list of players they get.

4. By Draconiancowboy on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

All that said, I am insanely excited about our moves in FA so far. Good luck out there guys, and as a huge fan of Locker I hope he turns into the QB that we all know he can be.

5. By LegendInMyMind9 on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

I’d almost prefer CJ were gone and Shonn Greene be the starter. CJ has proven that he’s only committed to his money and his stats, not the team. He’d actually be more useful at this point as the spell back, providing a change of pace for Greene, than the other way around.

6. By LegendInMyMind9 on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

Expanding on what I said, I think CJ has been big for the Titans in the past, when he’d still listen and was still willing to settle for a few yards instead of dancing around and losing yards, but with his contract, at his dwindling importance (the days of the “dominant” RB may be over, unless you’re Adrian Peterson), I think he’s become detrimental. They need to reel him in. That, or expand his role. Line him up in the slot, or other wideout spots, put him on return teams, etc. He’s the “playmaker”, supposedly, but he’s not gonna be able to make every play from the backfield.

7. By fredrick boothman on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

you guys are dumb asses know nothing greene is no better than harper for chrissake their same size rb when your ol sucks it makes rb look bad real bad and you know it once they draft cooper or warmack and finish fixing ol the difference will be like night and day like white on black total difference c.j goes from 1200 yards to 2200 no problem and double his touchdowns wow lockers looks real good to with more time to throw the ball a couple of seconds makes a big difference boys p.s titans need draft another wr to in second or third round

8. By Titanman45 on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

I agree..these guys dont no football. CJ is still a BEAST, who cares about him crying about Shonn Greene. This move will make CJ better, competition will make him run faster an harder. Johnson is still breaking records an can block like Clinton Portis and you bums talking like CJ lost a step. Legendmymind9 please dont come back to this board, your knowledge on football is poor.

9. By EBTITAN on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

WELCOME SHONN, WHAT A BUNCH OF B.S. CJ WAS JUST SAYING HE WAS SUPRISED ABOUT THE $ SPENT. EVERYONE HAS AN OPINION SO WHAT! WE ARE A (TEAM).I WOULD MUCH RATHER SEE BOTH BACKS HEALTHY AT THE END OF THE YEAR WHEN WE GO TO PLAYOFF’S! 80 YARD RUNS ARE EXCITTING,BUT THEY DO NOT KEEP OUR D OFF THE FIELD & SOMETIME YOU JUST NEED TO POUND FOR 3 OR 4. I NEVER SAW SO MANY 3 AND OUTS AS I DID LAST YEAR. JUST ASK THE DEFENSE. CJ BREAK THE RECORD,WIN THE MVP IN THE PROCESS OF GETTING A RING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS ALL THIS FAN CARES ABOUT

10. By Draconiancowboy on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

I agree with y’all. CJ can still make it happen, but the issue is that in critical situations, he doesn’t! Is he insanely explosive; Yes! Can he break an 80-yarder at any moment; Yes! Can he convert a Third-and-one or Third-and-two when we are trying to keep a drive alive; NO!!! We need the complementary back. I’m not saying Shonn is a replacement at all, but you have to admit, there is no way you felt confident during any third-and-shorts last year… look at Shonn’s history on third downs last year.

Did we pay too much for him? Probably, but I am just happy to see the front office making moves that appear to have an actual impact on the game. This is not the same FO I am used to seeing in the past years, and I am hoping that will reflect to the field.

Oh, and Fredrick, I read a ton of your posts (or at least what I can understand of them). I love how your clever banter and response to mine and Legend’s mere statements consists of direct insults on our intelligence and football knowledge. Kudos to you friend, coming from an individual who has watched the NFL for over 20 years. Also, if you want people to take your posts seriously, please make attempts at sentence structure, punctuation, and capitalization.

11. By Draconiancowboy on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

Oh, and by the way, you are absolutely bonkers to think that CJ will ever hit the 2K mark again. I would be on the floor if any back gets near that in the next ten years given the NFL is becoming a pass happy league… Also, consider the tentative 15-yard penalty each time your RB gets the ball if he lowers his head, or if the ref sees things differently than everybody else… This league will be a QB/WR/TE league for years to come, mark my words.

12. By Litch22 on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

I’ve been a CJ2k fan ever since he came to the titans and have always been a titans fan, shonn Greene was a waste of money, he is going to try to take over CJ2ks job. CJ2k still is the best back in the league period the end. He does everything right and no one can do what he can do. He is still as fast as he was and as good. If any true fan has noticed he hasn’t been given the carries needed to hit that 2k mark and break the record as well as win games for us. We need to keep the o-line healthy because that’s part of the reason, the other is we need to have a better passing game. Install the read option and CJ2k will hit 2k easier than last time

13. By instagram followers on Jul 24, 2014 | Reply

I must thank you for the efforts you’ve put in penning this website.
    I’m hoping to see the same high-grade blog posts by you later on as well.
    In truth, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get
    my own, personal blog now ;)