Marc Mariani Continuing Comeback

Posted by Craig Peters on June 3, 2013 – 5:21 pm

Titans players have repeatedly said how excited they’ve been to participate in this year’s offseason program, but Marc Mariani might be most appreciative of the opportunity.

Marc Mariani catches a pass from Jake Locker during a recent offseason workout.

Marc Mariani catches a pass from Jake Locker during a recent offseason workout.

The former seventh-round draft pick rarely, if ever, has conducted an interview without expressing how thankful he is to be in the NFL. That was the case during his first training camp, after he made the Pro Bowl as a rookie return specialist in 2010 and in each subsequent training camp.

It’s still true, possibly even double-stamped, considering the amount of work the fourth-year pro has put in to return to the field after suffering a broken leg on August 23 in a preseason game against Arizona.

“Every rep for me is huge just because I need to make up for time lost, so I’d say I’m getting there,” Mariani said. “I’m gaining confidence but it’s definitely a battle and I’ve still got some work in front of me so it’s good to be able to participate and not have to wait to be able to be thrown in there, but I definitely have some work to do.”

Mariani endured surgery and said rehab in September, October and November was particularly challenging.

“They were tough (months), and I definitely had a lot of support from ‘Titans Nation’ and my family and friends back home,” Mariani said. “It’s been hard to get to this point. I’m just excited to be here and optimistic about the future.

“I’m working hard every day, and that’s kind of where I’m at,” Mariani continued. “I push through some things and some things I’ve got to hold back on, but kind of day-to-day, week-to-week, I’m just trying to improve and keep progressing as I have been.”

Jake Locker, who went through physical therapy after having his shoulder surgically repaired in January, said he’s happy that Mariani has made it this far back and knows that he’ll keep fighting.

“Marc’s a personal friend of mine and I think a lot of people really enjoy watching him or are a fan of his, so to be able to see him come back and be doing so well, recovering so well from a pretty brutal injury, it’s encouraging,” Locker said. “You’re happy for him. He’s a good guy, he works hard and I think he deserves that opportunity.”

Tags: ,

12 Responses to “Marc Mariani Continuing Comeback”

1. By addicted2football on Jun 7, 2013 | Reply

Best of luck to you Marc, I hated to see the injury you got last year but keep working hard. GO 83!!!

2. By jim magera on Jun 8, 2013 | Reply

mark hope things go well for you, I am so proud of you and especially pround of the young man that you have become.

Mr. Jim Magera.

3. By RT on Jun 26, 2013 | Reply

I been a titan fan sense the oilers. (Marc) I saw you play in college I knew you could play in the pros. I’m glad to see you running around after the injury. I know its not easy to make a comeback like that. you’ve been one of my fav player I hope me can make the roster. Keep pushin stay positive you’ve made it this far.

4. By Bob Windel on Jun 28, 2013 | Reply

Marc…your tenacious attitude and superb work ethic have not been lost because of the injury. You’ll be back! Pat and I will continue to pray for you. So many, including us, are so proud of you.

Blessings, “Windel”

5. By Jonathan Carpenter on Jul 4, 2013 | Reply

Marc Just remember ” I can do all things through Christ who Strengthens Me.”
    You are a very talented young man with the heart of a lion. Punch fear in the face with a record breaking season. I can’t wait to see you stroll into the end zone.
    Don’t stop with the return position
    keep shooting for a receiver spot. We need a play maker like you to get the ball as often as you can.

6. By Jeff Fisher on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

Marc, hopefully you will get released..So i can pick u up….RUSTY!!!!! too

7. By Jonathan Carpenter on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

I highly doubt The real Jeff Fisher posted the above comment. But just in case. Jeff you with all respect (Long time fan) Go pick up Vince Young give him a hug and Let him win some games for you. There isn’t a single player in the NFL that would play harder and win for you more than him. We know we don’t have all the details. But that man is a competitor and it would show grace and forgiveness to give him another shot. I won’t say he deserves it. No one deserves the blessings in life we relieve. If anything where to happen to your starter you would have a proven winner to carry the load. Vince has the skills and potential and you have the leadership to help him blossom.

8. By TitanGranny on Jul 14, 2013 | Reply

Marc, this granny is so proud of you! You’re fighting hard to get back and, with so many of us Titan fans praying for you, I know you will be there soon. Go Marc and Go Titans! It’s going to be a great year!

9. By Montana Minnow on Jul 16, 2013 | Reply

Marc , hardwork will payoff. If any one can do it its you. Go titans ,Go Marc

10. By John D. Rowe, M.D. on Aug 25, 2013 | Reply

Mr. Mariani, you have a life-long fan in my most beautiful 10-y.o. daughter, Hannah. Since you visited her school, Edmonson Elementary, during your second season, she had to make every attempt to watch you play or hear how you were doing. She was mortified with news of your injury; she was assuaged, however, when I let her know that I have known your chief team physician (B.E., M.D.) for years and that he was the ” Paul McCartney” of Sports surgeons [Paul being another hero of mine.] As I am sure you know, “Dr E” is an expert’s expert on shoulders, by-the-way! Coach Fisher can vouch for that: do you recall “Eddie George v. Ray Lewis” in the Play-offs a few years back?
    Knowing you are in such gifted hands, and those of God, she fully expects to see you in the SuperBowl this year. All our best and pardon my loquacity. I am far better @ writing letters …
    Dr J. Rowe
    Romans15:13

11. By Brett Hamilton on Aug 25, 2013 | Reply

Marc,
    The latest setback will provide the opportunity to avenues you least expected. Remember to get to the glacial waters you must climb the mountain, your hike is just starting. Coach H

12. By sources tell me on Dec 17, 2013 | Reply

It’s really a nice and useful item of information. I am content that you just distributed this beneficial info here. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you giving.