Schedule   |   Tickets   |   Live Webcasts

Kiper: Jadeveon Clowney Likely to Land in AFC South

Posted by Craig Peters on February 6, 2014 – 10:04 pm

One way or another, ESPN’s Mel Kiper, Jr. believes South Carolina defensive lineman Jadeveon Clowney will be in the AFC South next season.

ESPN's Mel Kiper believes former South Carolina star Jadeveon Clowney could wind up with Houston or Jacksonville via the No. 1 or No. 3 overall picks.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper believes former South Carolina star Jadeveon Clowney could wind up with Houston or Jacksonville via the No. 1 or No. 3 overall picks.

Kiper, an NFL Draft expert, held a conference call Thursday in which he said he expects Houston to select Clowney with the No. 1 overall pick or Jacksonville to do so with the third pick in the 2014 NFL Draft this May. Click here for the draft order for the first round.

“They’re both teams in the AFC South and both need to get heat on (Colts QB) Andrew Luck,” Kiper said. “He would have been the No. 1 pick obviously had he had the great year, which he did not have for a variety of reasons, which it would probably take us 20 minutes to get into that, but the fact that he was concerned about getting hurt, had that cheap shot against him in the North Carolina game, kind of all contributed to that, but he’s No. 1 on my big board, and a lot of pro teams still have him No. 1. I think he goes No. 1 to Houston or 3 to Jacksonville, or maybe if St. Louis wants to move out of 2, somebody may trade up to get him.”

St. Louis has the second pick via Washington from the previous trade that the Redskins made to pick Robert Griffin III in 2012.

The Scouting Combine will be later this month in Indianapolis, offering team executives, scouts and coaches an opportunity to interview and evaluate the invited participants and shape each team’s plans for the draft. Kiper said he expects the top offensive tackles to receive grades that could be higher than last year’s prospects, and he expects there to be a strong consensus on Clowney’s numbers, as well.

“Clowney is going to be a guy that everybody is going to have a high grade on, and in this league, you have to get after the quarterback and he can do it,” Kiper said.

As for potential pro quarterbacks he might be chasing, Kiper said it’s “too early to speculate on which quarterback is going to be the hot guy at quarterback because the combine and pro days are going to be critical to” (Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel, Central Florida’s Blake Bortles and Louisville’s Teddy Bridgewater).

Tags: ,

11 Responses to “Kiper: Jadeveon Clowney Likely to Land in AFC South”

1. By addicted2football on Feb 7, 2014 | Reply

It wouldn’t be terrible to see him go to Jacksonville because their defense is pitiful. If Clowney goes to Houston with Watt and Mercilus already on their roster, that could be horrifying for every other QB in the league.

2. By addicted2football on Feb 7, 2014 | Reply

Philosophically speaking, imagine having the nightmare that Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees and Michael Myers are BFF’s, and they all 3 want to kill you at the same time. YIKES!!!!

3. By titanup4me on Feb 7, 2014 | Reply

Titans need a quarterback

4. By royalan83 on Feb 10, 2014 | Reply

Keep Chris Johnson for now, while the Titans can develope a new QB. 8 mil is big, but it could be worse. He’ll be better after his knee surgery.

5. By addicted2football on Feb 10, 2014 | Reply

I really wish I felt the same way royalan83, but I disagree. CJ will turn 29 a couple of weeks after the start of the season and be coming off a knee surgery, and the 8 mil we’ll save by cutting him would help us re-sign Verner whom I believe we need way more than Johnson. We can easily draft a solid RB in the 4th or 5th round that will match, if not exceed the production we’ve seen from CJ in the last 3 years, and he won’t cost us anywhere near 8 mil.

6. By Joseph on Feb 10, 2014 | Reply

@addicted2football

I’d also like to see CJ stay around, but like you I don’t think we can expect the Titans to attempt to resign Verner if CJ’s 8 million count against the cap. I’m more than happy to keep Verner at the expense of losing CJ. Problem is, they won’t cut CJ until they have his replacement if they decide to part ways with him. That means (likely) the draft, but even in FA if an RB pops up that means Verner’s also talking to other people. And, let’s not forget Pollard. CJ could definitely be used better, but 8 mil is a high price to pay for a “maybe”.

My best guess? The Titans cut CJ after the draft or early into OTAs, Verner is allowed to see the open market and goes somewhere else. and the Titans are able to resign Pollard to a 5 year deal that overpays a bit for a player with decent onfield talent but superior leadership they desperately need. To them, Pollard’s intangibles and lower price tag will be more attractive than trying to compete for Verner after his Pro-Bowl season.

It’s a shame, as I really like ATV and have ever since his INT in the Dallas game his rookie season. The man can play football, and this season was awesome to see him deny QBs all season long.

7. By royalan83 on Feb 11, 2014 | Reply

I expect Kenny Britt to get cut before he injures his knee again during his next DUI police chase this offseason.

8. By Joseph on Feb 11, 2014 | Reply

@royalan83. KB won’t be cut, he’s an unrestricted Free Agent and the Titans don’t have to waste the paper and ink to cut him.

9. By addicted2football on Feb 12, 2014 | Reply

@Joseph – I’m not 100% sure on this, but I’m thinking the only way we escape the 8 mil we would owe CJ this season would be to cut him either before, or on the actual 1st day of the league 2014 year which would also be the start of free agency, and that would be March 11th. If CJ is on the roster after that, we would still owe him 8 mil even if he’s cut. If I’m right, that means he’ll be cut in less than 4 weeks, and this years draft is May 8th – 11th. If I’m mistaken on any of this, please let me know.

10. By Joseph on Feb 13, 2014 | Reply

@addicted It’s his base salary that is owed, unlike past years where he had the guaranteed bonuses due. This is the salary that he is paid each week of the season that he’s earning. I know that if the Titans cut him, they save 6 million on the cap, so not the full 8 million but it doesn’t matter when they cut him. It’s actually a nice position to be in, since it gives them the options I talked about: filling his void in FA or the draft. That’s the only reason he won’t be cut, in my opinion. Like I said, I’d love for him to stay around, but I also know he’s said he won’t take a pay cut if they ask. If he gets cut because he wants his 8 million, he’ll be lucky to get 4 somewhere else. Teams are smart about RBs nowadays, and everyone saw what Eddie Lacy, Gio Bernard, Monte Ball and LeVeon Bell did last season despite not being “top pick” RBs. I love CJs durability but if he doesn’t produce 1600 yards a season with 10 TDs, he’s not worth 8 million (or, as the Titans will look at it, 6 million against their cap space). Cutting him alone will almost double their cap room, allowing money to resign Verner, Pollard, or snag a hot free agent. Like a defensive rusher. We’d do well to chase Hardy in FA. And I wouldn’t be surprised to see Michael Johnson or Michael Bennett (again, last year they targeted him before he signed a 1 year with the Seahawks) on the Titans radar.

Hope this clarified without making me sound like a jerk, but I’m confident CJ doesn’t have to be cut by FA, the draft, or even OTAs to avoid the cap hit. In the past that was the case, but his guaranteed bonuses are not in the remaining years of his contract like they were in previous years.

11. By addicted2football on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

@Joseph – You didn’t sound like a jerk at all bro, and I appreciate the info. This makes me feel a little more secure about our situation with CJ.