Schedule   |   Tickets   |   Live Webcasts  |  Training Camp  |

Titans DC Ray Horton on Safeties Bernard Pollard & Michael Griffin

Posted by Craig Peters on March 5, 2014 – 4:31 pm

Titans defensive coordinator Ray Horton said during Wednesday morning radio interview that he is pleased the Titans re-signed Bernard Pollard to a multi-year contract.

Horton was a guest on The Wake Up Zone on 104.5-FM and elaborated on the retaining of Pollard, a 2013 Titans captain who led the team with 142 tackles in his first season in Tennessee. Click here for audio of the interview.

Bernard Pollard will be an important player for the Titans, defensive coordinator Ray Horton said.

Horton, who was hired this offseason, said Pollard will provide “continuity for one, and I think leadership for two, and hopefully the fans will see a different style where we blitz him more and give him more freedom to disrupt.”The coordinator who appeared in two Super Bowls as a player and has coached in three said Pollard’s previous experience of winning Super Bowl XLVII with Baltimore will be helpful as the new coaching staff sets the tone of Tennessee’s defense.

Horton also discussed his initial thoughts on Michael Griffin, who is likely to play closer to the line of scrimmage this season than a year ago when he often lined up about 20 yards off the ball and patrolled the field.

“Not only do I want him to play closer to the line of scrimmage. I want him to play further behind the line of scrimmage, meaning go get the quarterback,” Horton said. “I think when you have an athletic player that is smart, do more things for me. Don’t always be the deep safety. Be up at the line of scrimmage, ‘are you coming (on a blitz)? Are you not? Are you dropping? Is it camouflage?’

“It’s all those things where I don’t want the quarterback to go, ‘33 is always going to be here.’ I want confusion,” Horton continued. “I want second-guessing from the quarterback. He’ll figure it out quickly, but I want him to go through his progression. The longer it takes him to figure it out, the more time we have to get to him.”

The Titans are able to begin their offseason program on April 7, which will allow the new staff an opportunity to meet with players. Horton said he’s the effort he’s seen during film study.

“The first thing I was most impressed with was their effort because if you can channel that effort in the right direction at the right time, you’ve got pieces there, and they did that. I keep using the example of Jason McCourty, who is one of the smaller guys on the team, but how violent a player he is with hitting, tackling, aggressiveness, and when the little guys will do that, you should have a pretty good team,” Horton said. “On the other end of the spectrum, you have the big guys that run to the ball. From a coaching standpoint, that’s what you want. I keep using the coaching mantra of little guys that hit and big guys that run. That’s really all you want, and the rest is just, you call the game.”

Tags: , , , ,

11 Responses to “Titans DC Ray Horton on Safeties Bernard Pollard & Michael Griffin”

1. By EBTITAN on Mar 5, 2014 | Reply

NEED TO RESIGN THE BIG MAN PITOITUA ALSO, HE EARNED A CONTRACT!

2. By Drew Beman on Mar 6, 2014 | Reply

Going to be really upset if we lose Verner! Glad 31 is back! We are starting to build a mean team in Nashville again!!!

3. By EBTITAN on Mar 6, 2014 | Reply

YA, I DON’T UNDERSTAND WHY WE DIDN’T PUT SOME KIND OF TAG ON HIM, WATCH THE RAMS SNAG HIM UP. THE TRANSITION TAG OFFERS A CHANCE TO MATCH OR GET PICKS

4. By Chris on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

Resign Cortland Finnegan! You can never have enough aggressive leaders on defense. He was a fan favorite. He should also come pretty cheap after last season. Please bring him back. I am excited about keeping Pollard. He is the man. that is all

5. By addicted2football on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

DONE DEAL!!! We got Pitoitua back, happy to see it too.

6. By royalan83 on Mar 8, 2014 | Reply

lmao finnegan.. did you read the reason the rams cut him? he was getting burned often on deep routes. his tiny legs can’t run fast at his age. his only talent is he talks, and that’s useless on the bench. it’s better to go with fresh talent just like we did with fresh coaches

7. By Berdj Joseph Rassam on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

There are times when Pollard is in definite “beast mode” and is playing way out of his mind.

8. By Lee Martin on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

Is so glad to see the GM Weber and the new owners taking the team in a different direction. I feel like even with Coach Munchak the Titans were stilling playing like Coach Fishers teams in his last days at the Titans. I miss the animals we had with Eddie George/Steve “Air” McNair/Frank Wycheck playing with blood on their cloths and laying the wood up the middle. I think the Titans with the changes we made last year with Pollard and my favorite Delanie Walker and getting those key players Michael Griffin playing like he did last season we are going to be picking fights and putting up with nothing. We got our edge back.

9. By Johnny on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

The SB contenders are shoring up the secondary to stop the passing in the league that dominates now, Titans have improved the return game and weakened the secondary and will most likely loose games that are high scoring, like the Chargers have done in the past. I will be suprised if any backs on Titans roster play 16 games, better keep CJ. Paying a return/ receiver/ running back 4 mil and crying about CJ salary seems skewed.

10. By kyle on Mar 15, 2014 | Reply

yeah idk whats going on with titans right now cutting better players on team and signing players with half the skill for just a million or so less wtf?

11. By steven aguilard on Apr 5, 2014 | Reply

Im glad we got some better coaches so maybe we will get further this season.GO TITANS!